Do You Need a Car in Chicago?
Tips for Moving to Chicago from Midway Moving & Storage
If you’re planning on moving to Chicago, IL, you likely have a lot of decisions to make. One crucial factor to consider is whether you need a car to live in Chicago. Our team at Midway Moving & Storage offers comprehensive moving services, including local moving services and long-distance moving services. If you’re moving from out of state, it might be hard to picture life without a vehicle. Chicago is different than cities in other parts of the country. Chicago was founded before automobiles, making it easier to get around by foot and tricky to learn your way around the streets as a driver. Learn more about whether you need a car in Chicago. Get in touch with us today to request an estimate for our national moving services.
The Pros of Owning a Car in Chicago
Many of Chicago’s neighborhoods are easy to navigate by walking or biking, but there are advantages to owning a vehicle. Check out these pros of having a car in Chicago:
- Makes it easy to drive a long distance without having to pay for a driving service.
- Convenient if you frequently travel beyond the scope of the city’s public transportation.
- Gives you a better sense of independence because you can come and go as you please.
The Cons of Owning a Car in Chicago
Just as there are advantages of owning a car while living in Chicago, there are also some disadvantages. Learn about some of the cons of owning a vehicle in the Windy City:
- You’re required to have current registration, license plates, and insurance for any vehicles you own.
- It’s often challenging to find free parking on the streets of Chicago. That might mean walking blocks to park near your home.
- Reserved parking spaces or garages can be expensive, costing hundreds of dollars a month in some locations.
- Plowing scheduling during the winter can make it even more challenging to find a convenient parking spot.
- Lots of traffic jams can make driving unpleasant.
- Parking on the street leaves you vulnerable to break-ins or having your vehicle stolen.
Getting Around Chicago Without Owning a Car
If you’ve decided that you don’t need or want a vehicle while living in Chicago, you need to know how you’ll get around the city. Check out some of these ways to get around without a car:
- Ride the bus. Visit the Chicago Transit Authority website to get routes and schedule information.
- Take the elevated train, commonly known as the “L.” You should be able to get just about anywhere in the Chicagoland area. The CTA website will give you all the information you need.
- Buy or rent a bicycle to get around the city.
- Hail a cab from the streets of Chicago.
- Use ride-sharing services, such as Lyft or Uber.
Whether or Not to Own a Car in Chicago
Now that you know more about whether you want to own a car in Chicago, it’s time to plan accordingly. If you own a vehicle and want to keep it, you can take advantage of our auto transport moving services. The team at Midway Moving & Storage offers local and long-distance moves. Contact us today to get your moving quote.