Make Moving Easy with Midway Moving & Storage
Moving can be a stressful and intimidating experience, but it doesn’t have to be. With some careful planning, your next move can be a breeze. Midway Moving & Storage is happy to provide this moving checklist for your move in or around Chicago, IL. Make moving easy with this checklist for moving. We’ll start two months before your move, so being prepared is the best way to make moving simple. You can consider this a moving out checklist, moving to another state checklist, moving out of town checklist, or moving house checklist. Feel free to contact us with any questions or to request your custom moving quote.
Two Months Before Moving
Once you know where you’re moving and have the moving date set for two months out, it’s time to get started. Remember, the more you prepare for your move, the easier and less stressful it will be on moving day. Here’s what to do two months before moving:
- Researching – Start looking into moving companies like Midway Moving & Storage. We offer custom quotes so you’ll know what to expect.
- Sorting & Purging – Now’s the ideal time to go through each room of your home and decide which items you want to keep and what you don’t need. You can sell, donate, or throw out your things. Set aside items that will require special packing to move or that may need extra insurance coverage.
- Organizing School Records – If you have children, you should arrange for their records to be transferred to their new school district.
- Creating a Moving Binder – Your moving binder will make your move organized and allow you to keep track of everything, including all paperwork, receipts, and your inventory.
Six Weeks Before Moving
- Ordering Supplies – This is the time to order your boxes and moving supplies like tape, permanent markers, and bubble wrap. Don’t forget wardrobe boxes, dish barrels, and more.
- Taking Measurements – Check the room dimensions at your new home and ensure your large pieces of furniture will fit through the front door.
- Using up Stuff – Start using up anything you don’t want to move, like frozen or perishable foods or cleaning supplies.
One Month Before Moving
- Confirming Moving Arrangements – Be sure you have a confirmation from your moving company, including the moving date, costs, and more.
- Packing – Start packing up the things you don’t use often and can do without for the next month. Make a list of any items valued over $100 per pound for insurance purposes.
- Labeling – Be sure to clearly label and number all your boxes with their contents and the room they’ll be moved to. Keep a separate box for essentials you will need right away.
- Separating Valuables – Create a safe box with valuables such as jewelry that you can transport to your new home.
- Changing Your Address – Fill out a change of address form online or at your post office.
- Forwarding Medical Records – Choose new doctors and have your medical records sent to them because it often takes some time.
- Notifying Important Parties – Change your address with banks, employers, utilities, credit cards, insurance, and more.
Two Weeks Before Moving
- Take Time Off Work – Be sure you have the day or days off you need to move.
- Tune Up Your Vehicle – If you’re driving a long distance, you’ll want to get your car checked out first.
- Clean Out Safety Deposit Box – If you have a safety deposit box and will be changing banks, you should clean it out and put your items in a safe box that you carry with you.
One Week Before Moving
- Refill Prescriptions – Stock up on any prescriptions you’ll need for the next few weeks and find a pharmacy near your new home.
- Pack Your Suitcases – Try to finish your packing a few days before your big day. Pack your suitcases with enough clothes to wear for a few days.
A Few Days Before Moving
- Defrost Your Freezer – If you are moving your refrigerator, be sure to empty it out and clean it. Allow 24 hours for defrosting.
- Double Check Your Moving Details – Confirm your moving details with your moving company and make plans for how you’re going to pay them.
On Moving Day
- Verify – Be sure that the moving truck that shows up has the same USDOT number that you received on your estimate. Sign the bill of lading/inventory list and keep a copy for your records.
- Relax – Now that moving day is here try to relax and let your moving company do the work. Enjoy moving to your new home.
Choose the Best Moving Company
Don’t forget to choose the best moving company when preparing for your big move. Midway Moving & Storage specializes in local moves or can help you move in or out of the Chicago, IL area. We have more than 30 years of experience and are the proud mover of the Chicago Cubs. Contact us today to request a custom quote.