Find the Answers You’re Looking for When Moving in Chicago, IL Here at Midway Moving
We understand that you may have a lot of questions about your upcoming move. Our professional staff can help you plan every detail of the moving process while answering all of your questions along the way. We also help you plan for emergencies and other contingencies. No matter where you move in the world, our staff ensures that your move goes as smoothly as possible.
Should I hire professional movers?
Moving yourself can save money, but it takes much longer. You have to pack your belongings, find vehicles to move with, load, and finally unload everything. And you’ll probably also have to ask for help, either from friends or family, which can add to the stress.
If you decide to use our Chicago movers, you will free yourself of the extra time and intense physical effort of the move. Professional movers do cost more, but they also provide many services that are worth the expense, particularly if you have large or heavy furniture or if your move requires going down stairs. The cost of hiring professional movers is probably less expensive than replacing damaged furniture or repairing scratches or dents in your walls.
If convenience is your main objective, you can hire a moving company to pack, move, and unpack everything for you. If your goal is to keep costs down, simply have the movers transport your pre-packed boxes. Once you work out the details of your move (i.e. distance, how many items or boxes, weight of items, transportation costs) you can evaluate cost versus convenience in order to make the best decision.
Do you have a Moving Timeline to help me plan?
1-2 Months Before Moving Day
- Schedule to disconnect the following services and schedule connection at your new address:
- Make arrangements for pets on moving day
- Plan how you move valuables, cars, pets , etc.
- Go through items and decide what to keep, what to donate, and what to sell
- Choose and book a mover (inquire about storage if needed)
- Decide packing options (mover packs or you pack) & get materials:
- Packing Paper
- Bubble Wrap
- Start using up food that you have
3-4 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Begin packing non-essential items labeling boxes by room and contents
- Go online or to the Post Office & fill out Change of Address form
- Notify insurance and credit card companies of address change
- Request off for moving day
- Make arrangements for children
- Cancel all automatic payments tied to your old address
- Pest Control
- Cleaning Service
- Landscaping Service
- Gym memberships
The Week of Your Move
- Pack everything that you won’t need in your day to day
- Pack and label all items that you will need as soon as you move in (TV remotes, batteries, baggies, tape, scissors, etc.)
- Clean out refrigerator
- Pack valuables and other items you want to move yourself
- Take any final pictures you may want of your home
Do you have any Moving Tips?
- Label all boxes with the room and contents on the top of the box so the movers can easily see it while they are carrying the boxes
- Pack a bag for you and/or your family as if you are going on vacation for a week so you can easily find everything you need while you are unpacking
- Label all remotes and put them in a baggie
- If you are taking anything apart, put all pieces in a baggie and tape it to the item
- Grab ice or ice packs the day before your move so you can pack your refrigerated items in a cooler
- Keep one box full of cleaning supplies, paper towels, garbage bags so you can clean after everything is moved out and as soon as you get into your new place or hire a cleaning (carpet cleaning) service for your new (or both) houses
- Contact your garbage company to schedule extra pick up if available
What can I expect from Midway?
- Experience – We’ve been serving all of Chicago, all of Illinois, and 48 states for nearly 30 years, handling moves of all sizes – from dorm rooms to mansions. We know how to pack, transport, & store your most valued possessions from local to long distance moves.
- Expertise – All of Midway’s movers are trained, certified, and insured moving professionals. We never send day laborers, subcontractors, or college kids to handle your move.
- Training – Each of our movers has graduated from Midway’s Mover Training Center, where they learn best practices for protecting both furniture and walls during a move, strategies for moving large and/or awkward pieces, proper handling of high-value possessions such as electronics and art, and item-specific packing techniques, as well as customer service.
- Reliability – While some moving companies low-ball quotes and surprise clients with extra charges, we provide accurate estimates upfront and we stand by them. Our service is honest and reliable at a competitive price.
- Reputation – We move high-profile clients every day, including the Chicago and Cook County Housing Authorities, Chicago Board of Elections, the Chicago Public Schools.
How far in advance should I book my move?
Typically a move is booked 2 weeks in advance; however Midway Moving can accommodate any time frame, including same day bookings.
When do you process payment for my move?
For local moves, no deposit is required and you pay the day of your move.
For long distance moves– 50% of your balance is due at the time of booking and the remaining balance is due on the day of the move.